Friday, February 4, 2011

The Cure for Frogs

After several frustrating hours of frogging my large project ("Wolf Countess") I have still not made a lot of progress. In fact, I was in something of a selfish snit over the whole ordeal. However, I was lucky enough to receive two emails today, one from "Stitches of Love and Kindness," and one from "Stitch for Pleasure, Stitch for Charity," accepting me into their respective groups.
Am I crazy? You might be thinking... taking on more stitching. But I feel like this was exactly the encouragement I needed. It is very enjoyable to get wrapped up in a large project of one's own, but there is something truly special about being able to reach out to the world around you with your stitching. It will both break up the time whilst I work on the larger projects, and it will allow me to give something back.
For Stitches of Love and Kindness, ("SOLAK",) I will be stitching two squares for a quilt for a man named Tom who is suffering with cancer. He loves hunting and motorcycles, so I will be stitching one square with a hunting dog, and one with a poem called "The Hunter's Pace."
For Stitch for Pleasure, Stitch for Charity, I am taking on a fairly large project made up of small stitched squares. It is a "pirate's alphabet" quilt. The designs come from a stitching magazine in the UK I believe, and they are a riot. I expect this to be lots of fun to stitch.
There are many good crafting charities both here in the USA and abroad, and I encourage you, if you are reading this, to join one, even if it is just for one square. Both of these charities accept squares on a constant basis, so if you are deadline challenged, it's no problem. Here are the links for the groups I joined:

Stitches of Love and Kindness

Stitch for Pleasure, Stitch for Charity

Thank you for reading, and happy stitching!

No comments: